Song analysis: Juice WRLD’s Wishing Well

Summary

• I chose to Analyse Juice WRLD’s Wishing Well. While I don’t struggle with drug addiction, the hopeful and sad nature of the song can be relatable for me. In times when things get hard I can just “toss my pain and my wishes in a wishing well.”
  • https://youtu.be/Jh38-gBZ370 Wishing Well (clean)

Song Analysis

TOPICMY RESPONSES
SONG TITLEWishing Well
COMPOSER(S)Dr. Luke
YEAR2020
COUNTRYU.S.A
If you could work on this song (change it), what would you change and why?In my research I actually found a pirated deleted verse from this song on YouTube. A lot of Juice WRLD’s music gets leaked so this isn’t that surprising. I however enjoyed the verse and if I could I would add it back onto the song.
What is the song GENRE?Rap/HipHop
What is the song KEY?A Major
What is the song TEMPO?150bpm
What do you like about the RHYTHM?I really like the rapid piano as well as the hi-hat pattern.
What do you like about the ARRANGEMENT?I love the way the muted guitar sounds over the main guitar chords.
What do you like about the MIX?I love how certain instruments change volume throughout the song. It bring more attention to the vocals and other instruments at different times.
What do you like about the TIMBRE of some or all of the instruments? Being in a major key, I find that this song sounds quite upbeat and happy despite its sad meaning. This gives off a sort hopeful feeling.
What do you like about the PITCH of some or all of the instruments or vocals?I love Juice WRLD’s vocals. There is something about that touch of gravelyness in his voice that makes his singing sound so good.
Are there particular TRACK(S) that stand out?I don’t know what it is but right before the chorus there is some sort of synth that goes eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr and I love it.
Finally, what do you like about the overall COMPOSITION?This beat is so dynamic. It gives the song so much more diversity and it pulls the listener in.

“A song is a musical composition intended to be performed by the human voice. This is often done at distinct and fixed pitches (melodies) using patterns of sound and silence. Songs contain various forms, such as those including the repetition and variation of sections.” wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

HookTheory for Learning About Song Structure

Holistic Songwriting’s Artist Analysis

• This YouTube series dives into the songwriting web.
  • Marketing, Lighting, Music Videos, Image…

Mr. Le Duc’s Song Analysis Resources